DownEast Maine Information & Sightseeing
Located nearby are the University of Maine at Machias and historic sites such as Burnham Tavern Museum, Fort O'Brien State Historic Site, and F.D.R.'s summer house at Campobello Island. Experience the outdoors at Cobscook Bay State Park, Roque Bluffs State Park and golf course, and Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge. Hiking, birdwatching, beachcombing, and puffin tours are only minutes away.
We are also less than a two hour drive to Acadia National Park, St. Andrews, New Brunswick, and Bangor International Airport, and about four hours from Portland. View an area map and directions.
- Barren View Golf Course, Jonesboro
- A championship standard course suitable for players of all abilities. It has a 9-hole par 34 course, driving range, putting green, and practice sand trap.
- Bold Coast Tours - Puffin trips to Machias Seal Island, sightseeing trips alongthe scenic Bold Coast, hiking and nature tours to Cross Island Wildlife Refuge. Bold Coast Tours
- Burnham Tavern Museum - Site of the first naval battle of the American Revolution and a National Historic site. Located in downtown Machias.
- Campobello Island and Roosevelt Campobello International Park
- Enjoy the day at a 2,800 acre park that is easily accessed by many trails and drives. Visit the Roosevelt cottage, where President Roosevelt and his wife vacationed. PLEASE be sure to bring your passport.
- Herring Cove Golf Course - Nine challenging double-tee holes on beautiful Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada.
- Jasper Beach, Machiasport - Jasper Beach is operated as a Town Park by Machiasport and is located on Route 92.
- Monica's Chocolates, Lubec - Delicious handmade gourmet chocolates created at a seaside village chocolate shop in Lubec, Maine.
- Reversing Falls, Pembroke - The greatest tidal range in the world, with an occasional range of over 50 feet near the head of the bay!
- Roque Bluffs State Park - About six miles off US Route 1, a unique day use area with its pebble beach on the ocean and freshwater pond, it provides both fresh and saltwater swimming.
- Sunrise Canoe and Kayak - Full service canoe outfitter; canoe and kayak tours; rentals of canoes, kayaks and bikes.
- Tours of Lubec and Cobscook - Personalized, interpretive tours of Lubec and Campobello Island. Tour the intertidal zone, learn about bogs and the ice age, see lighthouses by sea, and visit artist studios and galleries.
- West Quoddy Lighthouse and Visitor Center - Visit Maine's most recognized lighthouse located at the Easternmost point of land in the continental United States.